About Me

My photo
Jefferson, Georgia, United States
Worship Leader and Music Educator, family man, super stud husband, Guitarist, Songwriter, and Publisher

Monday, June 20, 2011

Father's Day

My third Fathers Day without a father. Memories....

I would have loved to share a few more Father's Days with my dad. I find myself doing things like he would have, and saying to myself, "I look like my dad". Problem is, when working with my hands, I'm not nearly as creative as he was. I would love to share my love for bowhunting with my dad, and find what he said was true, about spending time in the deer stand talking with the Lord. In fact, last year I hunted out of his last deer stand, in sight of his final resting place. I would love for my dad to have gotten the chance to meet my grandson, Myles, who lights up my life when he sees me and calls me PeePaw.

We did spend the evening with Myles and all those old folks he lives with (my son Christopher and his lovely wife Angie, who once again came through with the required banana pudding) and Angie's parents, our good friends and now family Jerry and Cathy. Good times. Myles doesn't want us to leave, and told his PeePaw and GMa "I go in your car?". After teaching for 30 years I know many high school students who can't form such a complete sentence.

Daniel made it home from his first week of med school, but spent the majority of his time studying. Highlights of his week included his first encounter with a cadaver and realizing he wasn't in Kansas anymore. Hannah is being a good sport and even helps him study. Really. The one with the biggest adjustment here is the dog. Annie doesn't quite understand.

New material for the band is going to be more of a challenge now, but we are working on the Casting Crowns tune "Glorious Day" (Living He Loved Me). It's gonna be a keeper, fo sho.


Meet With Me....Ten Shekel Shirt
Breath of God....Healing Flow
Call My Name...Third Day
Freedom Reigns...Jason Upton

Altar call today included a hymn medley (kinda in the Lindell Cooley, Brownsville Revival Style) with What a Friend We Have in Jesus, Leave It There, When the Roll is Called Up Yonder, and How Great Thou Art. A little bit of a stretch for us, but it reassures all the older folk that come to church that hang in there with us through Third Day and Lifehouse and Casting Crowns.

This blog and many others like it are a part of the Sunday Set lists at Fred McKinnon's website. Check out what other Worship leaders are doing here

Speaking of Brownsville, 16 years since THAT Father's Day if I am counting correctly. Has it been that long?

in the flow....

jack


No comments:

Post a Comment